[LLVMdev] "deserialize primitive type 16 (vers=0, pos=15)" with Visual Studio

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Wed Mar 28 13:16:33 PDT 2007

Jeff Cohen wrote:
> Seung Jae Lee wrote:
>
>> I followed the steps in "Getting Started with the LLVM System using Microsoft Visual Studio" in the document in LLVM page.
>>
>> I made hello.c file exactly same shown in the page.
>> I made hello.bc on UNIX and transferred it to my Windows computer.
>> And I typed "llc -march=c hello.bc"
>> (Of course, I downloaded the latest version of LLVM and compiled with VS before this.)
>> But my command prompt can't run this with the following statement.
>>
>> llc: bytecode didn't read correctly
>> Reason: Don't know how to deserialize primitive type 16 (vers=0, pos=15)
>>
>> Hmmmm... Is there any body having been exposed to this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Seung Jae Lee
>>

> Assuming that you are using the same version of LLVM on both Windows and
> Unix, the most likely explanation is that you transfered the file
> hello.bc as a text file instead of a binary file.
>
> Note that the last time I tried this, it no longer works.  There are gcc
> runtime dependencies in the generated C code that will not link with VC++.

I just tried it myself, and it still doesn't work.  There are no
apparent GCC runtime dependencies this time, but the generated C code is
relying on inline functions which are not supported by MS C.  This could
be fixed easily enough, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.  Any
non-trivial program is going to have dependencies on the GCC runtime.

I'll update the documentation.