[LLVMdev] Web Site Re-Design

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Fri Jul 27 18:12:49 PDT 2007

Gabriel McArthur wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2007, at 7:40 PM, Nick Lewycky wrote:
>
>>The body text is either too small or too low-contrast (or both).
>>Please
>>make it black. Yes, it might not look as pretty, but it will at
>>least be
>>high contrast.
>
> One of my concerns as well.  The Webkit and openSUsE sites seem to be
> similar -- maybe just darker and not yet black.

Right. Slashdot uses #111111 but at that point ... you may as well use
black. I mean, I'll bet you didn't even know that /.'s body text wasn't
black did you? ;-)

I'm perfectly okay with you choosing a non-black darker colour.

>>The four major boxes form a corner in the upper-left. Because of the
>>drop-shadows, they have the image of not lining up even though they
>>actually do. It looks jarring; try making the main green title
>>piece an
>>inset that doesn't line up with the other elements, or merging it with
>>the "llvm" logo piece on the left somehow.
>
> Ok, this is a general comment to everybody wanting to make a comment:
> If you have specific issues, please make sure to name your browser
> version, your OS, and your screen resolution -- I can't fix what I
> can't see.

Fair enough, but in this case it's not a browser issue but an optical
one. You've got four rounded corners that line up to the pixel, but the
top two have drop shadows. Because of the drop shadows they look like
they're offset.

>>Also, there's blue-space above the top two pieces, but not to the left
>>of them. The page isn't square. That's also a bit jarring -- think
>>about
>>your margins.
>
> Again. Browser, OS, Resolution.

Mozilla suite 1.7.12, Debian, 1600x1200. It's probably a whole lot more
useful to see a screenshot, so here it is:

  http://wagon.no-ip.org/llvmwebshot.png

>>Finally, the footer looks too out of place, but I can't really place
>>why. It might be because you're using an accent colour in a place that
>>you don't really intend to accent.
>
> That's bothering me too, though I'm not yet sure how I want to fix
> it....
> Be thankful that the sidebar is no longer a collection of brick-red
> bubbles, however. ~8')

:)

Nick