[LLVMdev] Web Site Re-Design

Gabriel McArthur madeonamac at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 17:56:39 PDT 2007

On Jul 27, 2007, at 7:40 PM, Nick Lewycky wrote:
> The body text is either too small or too low-contrast (or both).
> Please
> make it black. Yes, it might not look as pretty, but it will at
> least be
> high contrast.

One of my concerns as well.  The Webkit and openSUsE sites seem to be
similar -- maybe just darker and not yet black.

> The four major boxes form a corner in the upper-left. Because of the
> drop-shadows, they have the image of not lining up even though they
> actually do. It looks jarring; try making the main green title
> piece an
> inset that doesn't line up with the other elements, or merging it with
> the "llvm" logo piece on the left somehow.

Ok, this is a general comment to everybody wanting to make a comment:
If you have specific issues, please make sure to name your browser
version, your OS, and your screen resolution -- I can't fix what I
can't see.

> Also, should the title piece really have the text at the bottom? And
> could it be a bit bigger? The font looks nice though. (I don't suppose
> you're taking a page from Apple's webpage design?)

No, but thanks for thinking so :)  It's designed to make you read it.
That's why it's down there and white on green -- it kind of compels
you to look.

> Also, there's blue-space above the top two pieces, but not to the left
> of them. The page isn't square. That's also a bit jarring -- think
> about
> your margins.

Again. Browser, OS, Resolution.

> While you're at it, the body text in the page is too wide for my
> browser
> leading me to have to scroll horizontally. That's a show-stopper
> for me.
> I know it's being caused by the width of the background image that
> includes the rounded edges, but I don't really know how to fix it
> cleanly. Hopefully you do. :)

And again.

> Finally, the footer looks too out of place, but I can't really place
> why. It might be because you're using an accent colour in a place that
> you don't really intend to accent.

That's bothering me too, though I'm not yet sure how I want to fix
it....
Be thankful that the sidebar is no longer a collection of brick-red
bubbles, however. ~8')