[LLVMdev] moving to svn?

Ted Kremenek kremenek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 30 21:03:13 PST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 11:06 AM, Bill Wendling wrote:

> (Has anyone
> mentioned Bitkeeper yet? :-)

I'm not certain if this was a serious suggestion.  Probably not.
I'll actually comment on this one because we actually do use
BitKeeper in my research group.

It's a great tool, but it is not free anymore for open-source
projects.  Branching and merging is a breeze in BitKeeper, has atomic
commits, changesets, is completely designed for distributed
development (a developer has complete access to all version control
information on their local checkout of the repository without being
connected to the Internet), and so on.

It also costs a lot, probably more than any version control software
out there.  Although I cannot disclose how much we pay for it (and we
have an academic license), if you came up with a figure in your head
and multiplied it by two that would probably be far less than how
much it costs to pay for a 1 year lease of BitKeeper.  That said, it
is a great tool.