[LLVMdev] moving to svn?

Oscar Fuentes oscarfv at telefonica.net
Mon Nov 27 13:44:42 PST 2006

Reid Spencer <rspencer at reidspencer.com> writes:

> Its been discussed from time to time. I would like to see this as well,
> but for an additional reasons: simpler branch management and faster
> updates, etc. SVN handles directories better and merging head to/from a
> branch is much easier (no tagging required because it remembers the
> merges).

SVN does no keep track of merges.

> Unfortunately, this is a pretty big change. The main issues are:
> 1. retention of original log

No problem. cvs2svn and tailor will keep full log info.

> 2. converting the post-commit scripts
> 3. Subversion isn't fully distributed and if we're going to change, is
> SVN really the
>    best choice?

Others mentioned svk, which is compatible with svn and is fully
distributed. However, if distributed VCS is really interesting for
you, I highly recommend Mercurial:

http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi

BTW, tailor works nicely for converting CVS repos to Mercurial.

--
Oscar