[LLVMdev] A number of newbie questions

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Mon Jan 9 14:52:35 PST 2006

Hi Chris,

thanks for your answers!

[large executables]

> It depends on what you're building.  A release build of LLVM (make
> ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1, with the results in llvm/Release) is
> significantly smaller than a debug build.  Even with that, however,
> the binaries are larger than they should be (5M?).  Noone has spent
> the time to track down why this is to my knowledge.

OK, 5MB seems a lot better, I'll try doing a release  build to see if
that gets me to that point.

Ahh...yes, one thing I like about multi-CPU machines is that they
make background compiles very smooth.  Anyway, the framework is now
down to 5 MB, 4 MB after stripping with -x, and that compresses down
to around 1.1 MB with gzip, so quite good enough for now.  Lovely!

[thanks for the ""-function-name trick]

>> 3.	Modules / JITs / functions
[...]
>> I've now made the Module (or rather my wrapper) a singleton,
>> effectively a global, but I don't feel very comfortable about it.
>
> This should work.  This of it as just a container for the LLVM code
> you are creating.

Yeah, but I really don't like globals, especially if they accumulate
stuff as this one does.  It would be *great* if there were a way to
isolate these guys, but I haven't found one yet.

>> Also, I also remember some issues with not being able to create a
>> second JIT later, so it seems like one module per lifetime of a
>> process that wants to do jitting.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.

In my unit test code, I tried to allocate a new JIT for each test in
order to isolate the tests (not really a conscious decision, more
standard operating procedure).  The program crashed once I tried to
use the second allocated JIT.

Combining this (possibly flawed) observation with the fact that a JIT
has to be initialized with a module, it seems that you can only have
a single module in a process (as having a second module would require
a second JIT).

It is quite likely that I was doing something wrong at the time,
these were my very first baby steps, but from what I've gleamed it
*appears* to be that LLVM sort of expects these to be pretty much
singletons, or at the very least some sot of hierarchical invocation
as you would see in a command line compiler, and it also expects a
process to do a (big) compilation job and then exit. Is this
impression correct or am I misinterpreting my initial experiences?

>> 4.	Jitted functions / ownership / memory
>>
>> Once a function is jitted I can get a function pointer to it and
>> call it, that's great.  Can I also find out how long it is, for
>> example if I wanted to write an object file?
>> All in all, the jit-result seems to be fairly opaque and hidden.
>> Is this intentional, or is there more I am missing?
>
> There are ways, but there isn't an elegant public interface for
> this yet.
> For a couple of reasons, it is tricky to JIT code to memory, then
> wrap it up into an object file (in particular, the JIT'd code is
> already relocated).

OK, writing an object file was possibly not the best example, but it
would be good to be able to take control of the result and control
its lifecycle.  For example, imagine an IDE-type environment where
you want to overwrite a particular method (and not necessarily with
code coming from LLVM).

> The start of a direct ELF writer is available in lib/CodeGen/
> ELFWriter.cpp, but it is not complete yet.  It uses the same
> codegen interfaces as the JIT to do the writing.

Very cool, will have to take a look at that...though what I will
need, at least initially, is Mach-O, not ELF... :-)

Thanks again,

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher                          Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel at metaobject.com         www.metaobject.com