[LLVMdev] Re: LLVM to SUIF-MACH VM binary

John Cortes jcortes at cs.ucr.edu
Thu Jan 20 19:15:42 PST 2005

Misha Brukman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 02:38:39AM -0800, John Cortes wrote:
>
>>I tried including the SUIFvm header files and got more errors than I
>>bargained for.  Looks like it hasn't been updated to be portable.  I
>>need some help in getting these suifvm references into the code I'm
>>writing.
>

> While I understand that your current goal is translating LLVM -> SUIF,
> it seems that you're running into problems with the SUIF IR itself.
>
> Could you explain the overall goals of your project?  It may be possible
> to do it all within LLVM, possibly with some extensions.  As I see it,
> you're looking either at writing SUIF additions or LLVM additions, and
> given the wealth of LLVM documentation and the fact that it's very
> actively maintained, that may be the better route.  However, it all
> depends on what you want, what LLVM currently provides, and what it can
> be extended to do within reasonable amount of time...

Well currently our project is made up of the following.  A SUIF Frontend +
SUIF-MACH backend which generates VHDL.  All the optimization passes currently
reside on the SUIF frontend, but due to it's non-maintenance, and problems with
moving to a newer OS version, we wanted to move that over to LLVM, but still
keep on using the MACH-SUIF backend.  We want to compare how much better LLVM is
to SUIF (a prototype of course).   If we succeed in that, then I believe that we
may merge the work from MACH-SUIF into LLVM.

John