[LLVMdev] LLVM & Incremental Compilation

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Jan 17 08:33:30 PST 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Sébastien Pierre wrote:
> Le 17 janv. 05, à 00:38, Vikram Adve a écrit :
>> I think the code for closures (and therefore any first-class functions)
>> requires excessive use of void pointers and casts.
>
> And is there any chance that closure implementation could be made easier ?

That is entirely possible.  However, LLVM evolution is driven by
experience.  This means we prefer to implement something the
straight-forward way using existing features if we can, instead of adding
a bunch of stuff to LLVM all of the time.  This shows us exactly what the
problems are, and allows us to understand what a good solution would look
like.

If you propose a simple extension "in the spirit of LLVM" and demonstrate
how it makes the produced code better in some way, there is a good chance
that we'll accept it.  However, if the extension is language or target
specific, is not "low level", is complex, etc, we probably won't.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/