[LLVMdev] A first!

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Thu Dec 23 20:11:17 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 20:00, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> There's a problem with the license for ltdl.c when building with VC++.
> It is under the LGPL, with a special exception:
>
> As a special exception to the GNU Lesser General Public License,
> if you distribute this file as part of a program or library that
> is built using GNU libtool, you may include it under the same
> distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.
>
> The problem is, when built with Visual Studio, libtool is not used.
> Therefore the LGPL exception does not apply, thereby infecting all of
> LLVM with the LGPL.

Ugh. Yeah, the Unix platforms are covered but not when building with
VC++. Not sure what to do about that. We'll have to sort this out when
the UIUC crew comes back from vacation/holidays. Until then, please
don't distribute any LLVM's built with VC++ unless you also comply with
the LGPL.

I've been thinking about converting our makefiles so that they could run
with the VC++ toolset. It would then be possible to create VC++
compatible DLLs and executables but via cygwin/make running to build it.
Not sure if that's a reasonable thing nor if we could still use libtool
in such a scenario.

Thanks,

Reid.