[lldb-dev] Help with C++ API

jingham at apple.com jingham at apple.com
Wed Aug 28 17:08:19 PDT 2013

The nice thing about doing it the way the SBValues do it now is that you can implement the policy for how variables are going to be displayed at the time you create the values, and then you can just hand the values out to whatever viewers you have, and if they use the simple GetChildAtIndex API's they will obey that policy automatically.  I don't think in normal debugger usage you would want to display BOTH the synthetic view of a type AND the the raw view, so the current implementation nicely encapsulates the most common usages.

You can always dial up the specific view options you want later on (for instance by calling the GetChildAtIndex that takes use_dynamic and can_create_synthetic.)  You can also fetch the synthetic or dynamic SBValue by hand if you want to ensure you are working with the synthetic children.  So you can choose to present data any way you want.  We just make it easy to move the choice to value creation time.

Note that the "synthetic" children have other uses besides just emulating STL containers.  For instance if you have a complex data structure, but used for purpose A only the first 5 fields are used, and for purpose B fields 1, 5, 7 and 9 are used.  So you would make two simple synthetic child providers, one of which returns the first 5 fields, etc, and then you could turn on and off these synthetic child providers according to the problem you are currently debugging.  In lldb, the Command access to this feature is by using a type "filter" but under the covers it is just another synthetic child provider.

So it would be narrowing to view the "synthetic children" as only a framework for viewing container types.

Jim