[cfe-dev] RFC: Upstreaming index-while-building

Jan Korous via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 26 14:11:55 PST 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm picking up the upstreaming of index-while-building functionality for clang. For more context (the previous RFC and the patch reviews) please see the end of this message.

The code on github.com/apple/swift-clang that I am going to upstream has evolved a little in the meantime.  I'm in the process of extracting incremental patches, roughly broken up by functionality, applying review feedback from the previous round as I go.

The rough plan is to have these patches:
* DirectoryWatcher - https://reviews.llvm.org/D58418
* model of source file - https://reviews.llvm.org/D58478
* Decl-s representation - depends on model of source file
* index file format
* tools/c-index-test/JSONAggregation.* - depends on index file format
* C API - depends on index file format
* Actions - depends on all of the above
* index while building feature in clang - depends on all of the above

This partitioning is optimized for better incremental code review, but a large portion of the tests will land in the later patches once everything is in place.  In places where we really ought to have dedicated unit tests I'll add them.

Big thanks in advance to anyone willing to take a look!

Thanks

Jan

---

The original RFC: