[cfe-dev] RFC: Adding index-while-building support to Clang

Nathan Hawes via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 28 17:20:44 PDT 2017

Hey everyone,

Xcode 9 shipped with index-while-building functionality based on enhancements to Clang that we’d like to upstream. Key among them is a new option, -index-store-path, that in addition to Clang's usual outputs, causes it to write out indexing data at the supplied path with minimal overhead.

While the current implementation is available at https://github.com/apple/swift-clang <https://github.com/apple/swift-clang>, we’d like to start by getting feedback on the high-level design, which you can read about here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cH2sTpgSnJZCkZtJl1aY-rzy4uGPcrI-6RrUpdATO2Q/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cH2sTpgSnJZCkZtJl1aY-rzy4uGPcrI-6RrUpdATO2Q/edit?usp=sharing>

Please let us know of any concerns, comments or questions you have regarding this feature.

Thanks!
Nathan