[cfe-dev] [libcxx] Removing _LIBCPP_TRIVIAL_PAIR_COPY_CTOR option.

Dimitry Andric via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 14 03:02:42 PDT 2016

We still turn off, and have always turned off, the _LIBCPP_TRIVIAL_PAIR_COPY_CTOR option in FreeBSD, since we are supposed to be backwards compatible with previous versions of libc++ that we shipped; see https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/contrib/libc++/include/__config?view=markup#l733 <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/contrib/libc++/include/__config?view=markup#l733>

If the option is completely removed, we will either have to supply two versions of libc++, or bolt on some sort of backwards compatibility versioned symbols.  Alternatively, we can add a local hack to put back the non-trivial copy constructor, but that might lead to other headaches.

David, do you have any good ideas for this?  I think your idea was to burn all backwards compatibility bridges, but we can't really do that for FreeBSD 11.0 at this point, so we would have to start backporting fixes from trunk libc++, instead of importing it wholesale.  For FreeBSD 12.0 we could ship only the new libc++, and provide the older libc++ as a compatibility package.

-Dimitry