[cfe-dev] RFC: switch default C language mode from gnu99 to gnu11

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 13:25:55 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>  -- Add a buildbot that runs all tests with the default language mode set
>> to each possible value
>

> If you're going to do this, I would *much* rather see the test
> infrastructure changed so that all are exercised by doing 'check-clang'. I
> think it would be really bad to create yet another trap for developers
> where tests pass locally but fail on the bots. =/
>
> If its too expensive to do this for *all* tests w/o a standard specified,
> we should cherry pick the ones we want to run in all modes and just
> replicate the RUN lines with a script.

I suspect that: (a) the ones we want to run in all modes is "all tests,
unless otherwise specified", and (b) it is too expensive to do so by
default (it would increase our testing time by probably around 4x). I think
the biggest risk for failure-on-bots-but-not-locally would be when
developers add new tests that accidentally rely on a particular language
standard. To that end, we could possibly run C tests in C89 and C++ tests
in C++98, independent of the driver's default mode, if we're not in "run in
all modes" mode. I'm open to suggestions.