[cfe-dev] RFC: switch default C language mode from gnu99 to gnu11

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Oct 16 13:29:32 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> I suspect that: (a) the ones we want to run in all modes is "all tests,
> unless otherwise specified",

I'm not sure why. CodeGen certainly doesn't seem very interesting here?

> and (b) it is too expensive to do so by default (it would increase our
> testing time by probably around 4x).

I'm not sure it would.

> I think the biggest risk for failure-on-bots-but-not-locally would be when
> developers add new tests that accidentally rely on a particular language
> standard. To that end, we could possibly run C tests in C89 and C++ tests
> in C++98, independent of the driver's default mode, if we're not in "run in
> all modes" mode. I'm open to suggestions.

I just don't think this is a good way to get coverage. Either getting
coverage is important, in which case we should figure out which tests to
run in multiple modes, or it isn't and we shouldn't bother with it. Having
the build bots use magic configurations to waste time exhaustively
searching for compile modes which don't work seems like a bad approach. =/