[cfe-dev] What are the plans for creating a Windows Binary Release of Clang?

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 11:59:10 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com> wrote:

> On 11/11/2013 17:57, Chandler Carruth wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com
> > <mailto:alp at nuanti.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hello Devin,
> >
> >     We're producing a Windows version of clang at http://clang.org

Who is this "we"?

We (the actual LLVM project) are producing a Windows version of clang at
http://llvm.org/builds

> I think it's really unfortunate that you're running your own website
> > and rolling your own builds. =/ So others on the list know, this is
> > not in any way part of the LLVM open source project, it is not being
> > maintained by the community at large but by some individuals (Alp at
> > least). Putting it at 'clang.org <http://clang.org>' is a best
> misleading.
>
> And llvm-reviews.chandlerc.com is maintained by the community, *ahem*?

Actually, yes, it is. And it was discussed with the community. And the
domain name does not suggest that it is somehow official (although it
actually is much more official and community-reviewed than clang.org). And
it doesn't provide Windows binaries to download that people might think are
somehow official.

I really have no idea why you did this without discussing it with the Clang
and LLVM community first. While I'm sure you had the best of intentions,
this really isn't a good way of interacting with the rest of us, and if the
status quo is maintained, this will generate hostility towards you.

Here's what I would suggest as some plans for moving forward:

Option 1:
You explain what you're trying to achieve with this website, what's missing
from the existing website, and how we can address that.
Someone (ideally you, since you seem interested in driving this) provides
patches to our existing website to achieve these goals.
You forward clang.org to clang.llvm.org (or some subpage of it).

Option 2:
You add some text to clang.org explaining who is running it, that it is not
official and not sanctioned by the upstream LLVM and Clang projects, and
why it exists.

But yes, let's add some links from the documentation on llvm.org if you