[cfe-dev] CFRefCount Problem #1: Receiver Aliasing

Anna Zaks ganna at apple.com
Thu Aug 25 10:41:16 PDT 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Robert Purves wrote:

> On 23/08/2011, at 3:41 PM, Ted Kremenek wrote:
>> On Aug 22, 2011, at 6:35 PM, Jordy Rose wrote:
>>> On Aug 22, 2011, at 18:11, Robert Purves wrote:
>
>> I hope this does not mean downgrading the static analyzer.
>> It's extremely useful to find retain/release bugs simply by adding --analyze.
>
>>> No, no.
>
>>> I'm pretty sure RetainReleaseChecker will still be enabled by default, at least on Mac OS X.
>>
>> Indeed.  This checker isn't going away in any shape or form.  We're just refactoring the implementation.
>
> Thanks for your replies.
> I am confused between --analyze and scan-build. Both claim to be The Static Analyzer but they differ non-trivially in packaging, ease of use, fit to our workflow, and presentation of marvellously OTT annotated source. Do they, at least in principal, find the same set of issues?

They do find the same set of issues.
 scan-build is a script which interposes on the project build process to call the analyzer (for more, see http://clang-analyzer.llvm.org/scan-build.html). For example, it allows one to run the analyzer on projects with existing build systems.
 --analyze is the clang compiler option to call the analyzer.

The analyzer supports different forms of output like html, text. For example, to choose html:
$ clang --analyze example.c -v -Xanalyzer -analyzer-output=html -o outdir

Anna.