[cfe-dev] CFRefCount Problem #1: Receiver Aliasing

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Thu Aug 25 10:57:37 PDT 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Robert Purves wrote:

> Thanks for your replies.
> I am confused between --analyze and scan-build. Both claim to be The Static Analyzer but they differ non-trivially in packaging, ease of use, fit to our workflow, and presentation of marvellously OTT annotated source. Do they, at least in principal, find the same set of issues?
>
> What I meant to ask was whether much-prized functionality was being removed from --analyze.

Hi Robert,

scan-build is meant to be a shrink-wrapped, mostly stable way of analyzing a project.  --analyze was a hook added to originally allow Xcode to drive the static analyzer from the IDE, but other's have taken to using it.  It is really a non-stable interface that has never been publicly documented, and I discourage it's direct usage unless you really know what you are doing.  The reason it is discouraged is because over time we will be evolving how the analyzer handles multiple files.  Currently the analyzer analyses each file separately, but we'd like to move to a place where it can analyze multiple files together and pool the information garnered from doing so.  The --analyze model inherently sits in the "analyze each file separately" workflow, whereas using scan-build marginalizes out such details.

Cheers,
Ted