[cfe-dev] Extra #defines for Windows SDK 6.0a/VS2008

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Fri Aug 6 11:18:46 PDT 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 11:16 AM, John McCall wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Francois Pichet wrote:
>> This is required to parse MFC/ATL header. A large percentage of
>> Windows C++ applications depend on those. Just the core system headers
>> I am not sure yet.
>
> Unfortunately, MFC definitely counts as a system header.  I don't know Windows
> programming well;  I was hoping that those classes wouldn't be heavily templated.
> If you can get us test cases, we can try to design something that won't frightfully
> abuse the rest of the system.  Maybe we can get away with setting the default to
> have an opt-in set of permissively-parsed templates.

Guys, it depends on what the goal is here.  If the goal is to replace MSVC and build anything it does, then we have to emulate a huge number of their bugs as well as their features.  I don't think this is an interesting goal.

If, instead, the goal is to build portable command line apps on windows, then things get more tractable.  This defines away things like MFC for example.

-Chris