[cfe-dev] Small change to ObjC builtin type definition

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Tue Sep 9 10:00:26 PDT 2008

Hi,

I agree this is a problem, but I'm not sure of the solution yet and
haven't had time to think about it much.

To clarify the issues:

(1) We need to have predefined types for all of id/Class/SEL/Protocol
because they occur in the language (self, _cmd, @protocol, etc).

(2) If these types are subsequently defined in headers, then they need
to bind to the internal types.

(3) At CodeGen, we need provide actual definitions for these types. In
theory we could do a lot of bitcasting to avoid this, but that makes very
ugly IR.

>From a design perspective it seems like the predefined types should start
as opaque types in clang. This I believe solves the original issue David
presented, but I think it also means a number of changes to Sema. This
should handle (1) and (2).

For CodeGen, I think we just look and see if the type has been refined. If
so we make sure it is compatible with the real type. If it hasn't been refined,
we provide the definition.

Is this workable and I am missing things?

 - Daniel