[cfe-dev] Small change to ObjC builtin type definition

steve naroff snaroff at apple.com
Tue Sep 9 07:44:20 PDT 2008

Hi David,

Commit r55990 implements your patch below.

The "good reason" clang predefines or hard codes id/SEL/Class/Protocol
is gcc does. My original GCC (or clang) implementation(s) didn't do
this. Nevertheless, I believe GCC changed this within the past 5 years
or so (so I changed clang). Off hand, I don't know why they changed
it. It complicates the dance between the compiler and the headers
(which is weird). Hacking MergeTypeDefDecl() is unfortunate.

Nevertheless, I don't see how this patch completely solves your
problem. When the FIXME to verify the underlying types is implemented,
I don't see how this is going to work. Are you going to hack
Sema::ActOnTranslationUnitScope() to install different types? (that
correspond to headers from your runtime?).

Please advise,

snaroff