[llvm-dev] Implement VLIW Backend on LLVM (Assembler Related Questions)

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 14 07:13:42 PST 2018

Hi Cy,

The main difference between Hexagon (i.e. VLIW) and most other targets
is obviously the fact that we have instruction bundles. (Btw, AMDGPU is
another target that uses bundles, at least in some cases.)
The short answer to how this is handled in our backend, is that we
create the bundles very late in the code generation, so throughout most
of the optimizations, Hexagon code looks as if it was just a typical
sequence of individual instructions (no different from any other
non-VLIW architecture). For the most part this works quite well, except
for instruction scheduling. LLVM has several schedulers (pipeliner, pre-
and post-ra scheduler), and all of them happen before the bundles are
created. Each of the schedulers allows some form of input from
individual targets and we heavily exploit that. In case of the pre-ra
machine scheduler we have our own implementation of the key scheduler
components that connect with the scheduler framework. The machine
pipeliner was originally written for Hexagon before it became
target-independent, but internally it is aware of bundles to some
degree. The schedulers rely on instruction latencies, so we make sure
that we have properly specified. Also, we take advantage of DAG
mutations, which is the mechanism that schedulers provide to give
targets the ability to alter the scheduling graph.
Finally we create bundles using the DFA packetizer, which is a finite
state machine that builds instruction packets based on resource usage
associated with each instruction (that information is specified in the
.td files describing each instruction). This happens after register
allocation. The register allocation for Hexagon is the same as for any
other target, we don't do anything special there.

-Krzysztof