[llvm-dev] Should we split llvm Support and ADT?

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 1 14:18:29 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 2:15 PM Pete Cooper via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On May 31, 2017, at 9:09 PM, Adrian Prantl <aprantl at apple.com> wrote:
>
>  Dwarf should be in libDebugInfoDWARF.
>
> I think the reason why it isn't there is because lib/DebugInfo is for
> *consuming* debug info, but these definitions are useful for both reading
> and writing DWARF. That is not to say that they couldn't be moved somewhere
> else of course (but probably not lib/DebugInfo in its current form).
>
> Ah, didn’t know that.  I’m sure a bunch of the others I mentioned also
> have similar reasons for being where they are.
>
> Ultimately its a judgement call, but i’d say that libDebugInfoDWARF is a
> less bad place for this file than libSupport.  Not a great reason to move
> it, but if someone wants to I still wouldn’t personally object.

That would seem to have a concrete disadvantage, though - that'd make many
things dependent on libDebugInfo that aren't currently - so there'd be real
changes in build time, etc building all the DWARF parsing/dumping/etc API
code for users who only generate DWARF but don't parse it.

If it were moved, it'd probably want to be a separate library that both
DWARF reading libraries and DWARF writing libraries could be dependent on.
(unless the reading/writing could be tightened up to the point where it was
mostly a common library used for both sides)