[llvm-dev] Target Acceptance Policy

Andrey Bokhanko via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 29 04:16:10 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>
wrote:

> I'm not hung up on the fixed number of months. I don't even think it's the
> best idea, but I was expecting people to give their own ideas... :-)
>
> But saying "as soon as they are ready" may be hard to assess. And writing
> it specific for the Lanai back end would not be appropriate.
>
> I'm open to ideas... Please share! :-)

Well, It's easy to criticize, but much harder to create new ideas... So I
specialize in former. :-)

I have only two suggestions:
1) Leave the wording as is, and make Lanai an official back-end no earlier
than Sep 28th.
2) Downgrade the wording from "must have" to "suggested" and add something
like "can be transformed to official status earlier if there is enough
support from LLVM maintainers". We can even formalize what "enough support"
means -- say, at least three maintainers employed by other companies LGTMed
this.

Yours,
Andrey