[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 23:47:33 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 11:36 PM Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Am 25.02.2016 um 03:25 schrieb Chandler Carruth:
> > I just want to clarify in case anyone is confused: I am in no way
> > suggesting that we would use pull requests, issues, or anything else as
> > part of the workflow for the test suite. I'm fine if folks want to talk
> > about that later, but I really view it as a separate discussion.
>
> Hm... then I guess I am confused about that "because I'd like to see how
> well (or rather, how poorly) a service like GitHub actually works for
> the project" bit.

Even if we don't directly use the features as part of normal development,
we could experiment with them and learn about them.

> If the definition of "works well" is "service availability for uploads
> and downloads with reasonable data speed is at least 99.99%", then any
> git hosting service that I have ever seen will work. This means
> BitBucket, GitLab, and GitHub, though I'd expect any other git hoster to
> work just as well, connectivity and throughput are the basics.

True, but personally, given its widespread use and rapidly improving
ecosystem position, I think the most interesting option here long term will
be GitHub, so that's the one I'm interested in investigating.