[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 18:28:41 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 2:10 PM Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>
wrote:

> On 24 February 2016 at 20:57, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > The test-suite is really weird relative to the rest of the LLVM project:
> > 1) It contains all manner of crazily licensed code.
> > 2) We don't really care about the history at all. Any concerns around
> linear
> > history or bisection are pretty much irrelevant.
> > 3) We don't ever plan to have LLVM code move into or out from the
> test-suite
> > 4) Its already big, and really should be much bigger. We shouldn't have
> > incentives to keep stuff out of the test suite because of size, hosting
> > cost, or anything else.
>
> 5) It could be used by other compilers / projects that are not LLVM
> related.
> 6) We could accept pull-requests from a much larger community

To both of these, I would say "maybe?" -- I mostly want to wait and see if
this is interesting. I feel like we need to sort out the hosting issues
first.

> 7) GitHub (or similar) can scale *A LOT* better than our
> infrastructure, probably even use CDNs etc.

YES! =D

> > There is still plenty to figure out about how to manage this on github,
> but
> > before doing anything else I just wanted to shoot an email and see if
> folks
> > like this idea.
>
> Maybe put LNT in there, too?

No idea, I'd wait to see how folks are liking github first and whether we
have issues with it (process wise).

Some downsides:
>  * the separate administration of commit access for new developers,
> but should be pretty low cost
>  * we'll have a full non-linear Git solution (no SVN behind) for some
> projects, thus branches, merges, etc will be harder to tag for
> releases.

Yep.

> I'd also avoid going for a full GitHub model (few commit access, need
> pull request), since this will be different from the current LLVM
> model.

I strongly agree. I don't want to see a process change here.

> But we can easily apply the current LLVM model to GitHub by any
> committer accepting pull-requests from the wider community, just like
> we commit for people without access today.

Perhaps. I think this might still impose process changes, which is why I'd
like to just look at the test suite right now where a lot of this is,
honestly, simpler.

Thanks for the great feedback!