[llvm-dev] RFC: Move the test-suite LLVM project to GitHub?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 24 14:10:42 PST 2016

On 24 February 2016 at 20:57, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> The test-suite is really weird relative to the rest of the LLVM project:
> 1) It contains all manner of crazily licensed code.
> 2) We don't really care about the history at all. Any concerns around linear
> history or bisection are pretty much irrelevant.
> 3) We don't ever plan to have LLVM code move into or out from the test-suite
> 4) Its already big, and really should be much bigger. We shouldn't have
> incentives to keep stuff out of the test suite because of size, hosting
> cost, or anything else.

5) It could be used by other compilers / projects that are not LLVM related.
6) We could accept pull-requests from a much larger community
7) GitHub (or similar) can scale *A LOT* better than our
infrastructure, probably even use CDNs etc.

> There is still plenty to figure out about how to manage this on github, but
> before doing anything else I just wanted to shoot an email and see if folks
> like this idea.

Maybe put LNT in there, too?

Some downsides:
 * the separate administration of commit access for new developers,
but should be pretty low cost
 * we'll have a full non-linear Git solution (no SVN behind) for some
projects, thus branches, merges, etc will be harder to tag for
releases.

I'd also avoid going for a full GitHub model (few commit access, need
pull request), since this will be different from the current LLVM
model. But we can easily apply the current LLVM model to GitHub by any
committer accepting pull-requests from the wider community, just like
we commit for people without access today.

Overall, seems like a good choice for me. +1.

--renato