[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 14 14:23:44 PDT 2015

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
>
> On 14 October 2015 at 20:35, Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> Related specifically to the developers meeting, we are growing quite
>> rapidly. For the past few years, we have been increasing our attendance from
>> 50 at the start to now over 350 attendees. With this many people (and many
>> new to the community), it seems important to have a code of conduct to refer
>> to and possibly *prevent* any incidents from happening. And for some people
>> (not sure exact percentage), it makes them feel more comfortable attending a
>> conference that has a code of conduct.
>
> Just an honest and simple question: would it make sense to have a
> different code of conduct for meetings and the rest?
>
> I know it sounds like a bad idea, but my rationale is that maybe this
> would at least solve some of the points that socially inept people
> feel pressure on the current proposal.

I don’t really think how someone is expected to behave should differ from in person versus online. So I think the core values of the CoC apply to both situations.

However, I do think that the consequences of such behavior could be different. In an in person situation during a 2 day event, decisions about what to do have to be made faster and could mean asking someone to leave the conference. This is really based on a case-by-case situation.

However, I don’t feel we should have 2 separate code of conducts. I think that this applies more towards what the committee does with a report versus the rest of the CoC. I think there is room for improvement in this area.

Thanks,
Tanya