[LLVMdev] Phabricator sending empty state change emails for Audit

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Thu Sep 4 02:07:31 PDT 2014

On Thu Sep 04 2014 at 10:59:43 AM Daniel Sanders <Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com>
wrote:

>  Hi Manuel,
>

> It's been brought to my attention that my usage of the Phabricator Audit
> tool  to track which commits have been reviewed is causing a large number
> of (almost) empty emails to be sent to the commit authors and anyone else
> added to the audit as a reviewer. Presumably there are some state change
> emails that we haven't blocked yet (e.g. the 'Accept commit' and 'Resign
> from Audit' actions for pages such as http://reviews.llvm.org/rL214709).
> Could you take a look when you get a chance? [*]
>

> Just to explain how I'm using it, I have a Herald rule that matches
> commits to lib/Targets/Mips and the corresponding test areas. When this
> rule matches, it creates an audit, adds me as a reviewer, and sends me an
> email. I then look at the audit and either confirm that it has been
> reviewed, review it, or ask someone else to review it as appropriate. Once
> I'm happy it has been reviewed properly, I either accept the commit or
> resign from the audit depending on whether I'm accepting the whole patch or
> just the MIPS related portion. It seems that both 'Accept' and 'Resign from
> Audit' trigger state change emails even though there's no text in the
> comment boxes.

Yes, so far I haven't had time to look into the audit stuff (assuming that
nobody uses it apart from getting automated emails when things happen);
while I am aware that it would fit us really nicely, all the time I have on
phab is kept by keeping the instance alive, syncing phab to mainline,
filing bugs upstream, keeping our own branch of phab working, and answering
people's questions.
I would *love* any help I could get with that :)

> [*] By the way, I'm still trying to get approval to submit patches for
> Phabricator from our side. Unfortunately, it's taking longer than I'd like
> since they have their own unique licence.

I hear you, I just went through the same process; took us a while; one tip
is: if there's anything specific, contact the upstream phab guys about it
(epriestley espeically), they're pretty responsive and trying to help.