[LLVMdev] HELP! PLEASE!

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 17:50:40 PDT 2014

Logan Streondj <streondj at gmail.com> writes:

> Is there any way for a beginner to get support with using LLVM?
> All my queries are just ignored or disregarded on this mailing list.
> Why isn't there an llvm mailing list for novices?

I'm afraid I can't be of much help when it comes to the LLVM API as I've
done very little work with it. I have, however, used LLVM fairly
extensively as a free-standing compiler. Pass in LLVM IR to llc/opt, get
a binary out; really couldn't be much simpler. Admittedly the error
messages could be a bit better in the face of malformed source, but for
the most part I'm very impressed with how robust it is.

Perhaps you would be better off starting development in this mode
before jumping into linking against LLVM as a library. There's nothing
wrong with this approach and in fact some industrial strength compilers
do exactly this (the Glasgow Haskell Compiler is one notable example).

Finally, don't feel discouraged; just start with the basics. Get "Hello
World" working with LLVM IR hand-crafted in a text editor and move on
From there. Make sure you keep an eye on the code LLVM produces and
understand why it's doing what it is doing. Modern compilers are very
complex beasts but building up like this you'll get it eventually.

Good luck!

- Ben