[LLVMdev] HELP! PLEASE!

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 28 17:55:39 PDT 2014

Dear Logan,

I went back into my Inbox to find your messages.  So far, I've only
found one.  If I understand it correctly, it asks about getting the
Ocaml interface to LLVM working again.

Sadly, I don't use OCaml, and so I can't help you.  I would also hazard
a guess that the OCaml interface to LLVM may have bit rotted because no
one is using it.  That would explain why no one has, so far, answered
your question (because they don't know the answer).

If you want to use OCaml, I would suggest using an earlier version of
LLVM in which the OCaml support worked.  There was a project at UPenn
that developed semantics for LLVM using Coq/OCaml; you might try to use
Google to find that project to see which version of LLVM they used.  The
paper (which probably lists the version of LLVM that they used) is here:
http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~santosh.nagarakatte/pldi2013.pdf.

Alternatively, you could write the parts of your language that interface
with LLVM in C or C++ and write the parts of your language that deal
with human-language in OCaml and write your own interface between the
two components.  This would probably be the best solution in the
long-term as C and C++ are the "native" interface for interacting with
the LLVM IR.

Finally, please try not to take it personally when your question goes
unanswered.  While the LLVM community tries to help newcomers, that help
is on a volunteer basis, which means that sometimes questions go
unanswered because a) people don't know the answer; or b) people don't
have time.  Questions also go unanswered because they don't provide
enough details or are too open-ended

Regards and good luck,

John Criswell