[LLVMdev] [lldb-dev] Deprecating autoconf/make?

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed May 22 23:00:33 PDT 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 10:33 PM, Charles Davis <cdavis5x at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 22, 2013, at 10:41 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
>> On May 22, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Charles Davis <cdavis5x at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In particular, CMake is not distributed with Xcode. ... couldn't because he couldn't get ninja and CMake installed on his workstation.
>>
>> I'm not sure where you got the "cmake isn't included in xcode, therefore noone can use it on an apple platform".  That is just utter nonsense.
> That is a *gross* misrepresentation of what I said.
>
> Anyone can go install CMake themselves by downloading it from their website; I thought that was obvious! That's why I didn't say it.

Ok, I'm sorry I misunderstood you, but...

> What I was specifically saying there was, some people who *work* at companies like Apple have bosses that may or may not let them install CMake,

I still don't get what you're saying here.  I agree that, in theory, there may be some people who work at companies who don't let folks use Cmake, but Apple is certainly not one of them.  Can you give a concrete reason that you think that this is the case, or why you think it might be the case for some other company?

> Also, from what I can tell, Apple's internal build processes seem to be highly integrated at the moment with configure+make, which is yet another barrier to switching to pure CMake.

Just MHO, but instead of telling the world why you think that Apple's build process won't like this, why not let someone at apple speak up if they think it is a problem?

-Chris