[LLVMdev] [lldb-dev] Deprecating autoconf/make?

Charles Davis cdavis5x at gmail.com
Wed May 22 22:33:35 PDT 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 10:41 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On May 22, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Charles Davis <cdavis5x at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In particular, CMake is not distributed with Xcode. ... couldn't because he couldn't get ninja and CMake installed on his workstation.
>
> I'm not sure where you got the "cmake isn't included in xcode, therefore noone can use it on an apple platform".  That is just utter nonsense.
That is a *gross* misrepresentation of what I said.

Anyone can go install CMake themselves by downloading it from their website; I thought that was obvious! That's why I didn't say it. What I was specifically saying there was, some people who *work* at companies like Apple have bosses that may or may not let them install CMake, which might be a problem if they need to build LLVM and there's no longer a handy pre-fab shell script to generate makefiles with. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Also, from what I can tell, Apple's internal build processes seem to be highly integrated at the moment with configure+make, which is yet another barrier to switching to pure CMake.

> BTW, whoever cross posted this to three different lists, please do *not* do this.  It makes moderation a huge PITA.
Sorry. I didn't know better. I've taken it off the other lists.

Chip