[LLVMdev] code-owner sporks

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Fri Nov 16 13:11:10 PST 2012

Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> writes:

>     This is right.  The highest barrier to entry for patches is that
>     they
>     are not seen.
>

> This is opinion. I see everyone's patches, but my review time is
> precious and the patch may not hit the criteria of what I'm willing to
> spend my time on.

That's valid, but code owners should at least acknowledge the patch and
say, "I don't have time to review this" with some estimate of how long
it might take before they get around to it.  I say "code owners" because
we shouldn't require everyone on the list to acknowledge a patch they
won't review.  :)

As a contributor, my time is precious too.  I would like to have some
way of knowing that *someone* is looking at the patch, that it hasn't
just dropped on the floor.  A patch queue would at least allow me to
track progress and not have to save a bunch of e-mails of patches I
submitted and need to ping four days from now.

Really, patches get dropped *all the time* to the point where pings are
a regular part of the development process.  That's a huge waste of time
for everyone.

                            -David