[LLVMdev] Licensing requirements

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Jul 6 17:25:33 PDT 2011

On Jul 6, 2011, at 12:47 PM, Tor Gunnar Houeland wrote:

>>> Thanks for your response. Is this ability to distribute binaries without notices based on your personal assertion that the MIT license used does not require them?
>> Yes.  I am not a lawyer and am not giving legal advice.  This is based on my understanding of the MIT license.
>
> OK, thanks. That's contradictory to the actual conditions written in the license, and as such the dual-licensing does not serve that purpose. Could http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#license be updated to reflect that?
>
> (Or do you strongly disagree that "all copies of the software" includes "binary"? When changing the license, you mentioned an example of Mozilla building with Clang. As can be seen in about:license, they consider MIT licenses to require reproduction of the license text. What's your reasoning for your understanding?)

I, and many other reasonable people, consider the phrase:

"The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software."

... to be talking about *copies of the software*.  A binary is not a copy of the software, it is a lump of bits derived from it.

I am not a lawyer, and do not offer this as legal advise.  However, lawyers that I respect agree with this interpretation.  You can choose to interpret it however you would like.

-Chris