[LLVMdev] Licensing requirements

Tor Gunnar Houeland houeland at pvv.org
Wed Jul 6 18:41:52 PDT 2011

On 07/07/2011 02:25 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:
> I, and many other reasonable people, consider the phrase:
>
> "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software."
>
> ... to be talking about *copies of the software*.  A binary is not a copy of the software, it is a lump of bits derived from it.
>
> I am not a lawyer, and do not offer this as legal advise.  However, lawyers that I respect agree with this interpretation.  You can choose to interpret it however you would like.

Thanks, that looks quite short and clear, though it doesn't seem to be
obvious (and I would not personally wish to rely on it).

Would it be possible to add something like that to
http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#license so it's clear how it
was interpreted? Do you happen to know if all the copyright holders also
interpret it that way?

   - Tor Gunnar