[LLVMdev] Disabling assertions in llvm.org releases

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Sun Jun 20 15:10:36 PDT 2010

On 20 June 2010 22:03, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> In that case, if there's "funny behaviour" in the generated code, people
> can be instructed to try running their code through diagnostic build and
> see whether it assertion checks.

Userland don't tend to have source trees to build with diagnostic
flags. Maybe if distributions had two packages (prod / diag) that
could make it easier.

Run time checks are no good, too. The similar of a -vvv flag would
avoid multiple versions of the compiler installed, but that also has
performance issues, as you always have the "if (diag_level > X)"
before each assert.

As always, a trade off.

Btw, has anyone measured the delay of full assertions compared to no
assertions at all? We may be discussing over nothing...

cheers,
--renato