[LLVMdev] Disabling assertions in llvm.org releases

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Thu Jun 24 03:16:47 PDT 2010

Hi Renato,

> Btw, has anyone measured the delay of full assertions compared to no
> assertions at all? We may be discussing over nothing...

I measured the effect of turning assertions off when compiling a huge file
(gcc.c from http://people.csail.mit.edu/smcc/projects/single-file-programs/)
using dragonegg, and when using opt and llc on the unoptimized bitcode:

  * gcc-4.5+dragonegg -S -O3 -> 22% faster with assertions off
  * opt -std-compile-opts    -> 22% faster with assertions off
  * llc                      -> 16% faster with assertions off

So turning assertions off seems to give a significant speed-up.

Ciao,

Duncan.