[LLVMdev] GSoC 2009: Auto-vectorization

Stefanus Du Toit stefanus.dutoit at rapidmind.com
Wed Apr 1 07:07:24 PDT 2009

On 1-Apr-09, at 1:25 AM, Nick Lewycky wrote:
> My concern being that writing both loop dependence analysis and loop
> autovectorization would be difficult in the time span alloted for
> GSoC,
> and you may want to consider just doing SLP.

Once you have decent loop dependence analysis, performing
autovectorization becomes fairly mechanical *if* you start off by
restricting the kinds of instructions you allow to be vectorized. For
example, if you start off with loops containing:

  - only instructions whose operands have the same size in bytes, and
thus will work well with the same "vectorization width" or "lane count"
  - loop counts that are well-known and divisible by the lane count
  - no other control flow
  - only well-aligned loads and stores
  - only instructions that have good vector support in llvm today

Then, given decent dependence analysis, you should be able to write a
vectorizer that vectorizes loops meeting these conditions pretty
trivially. Once you've done that, you can start relaxing these
assumptions, e.g. by adding a scalar loop to "finish up" loop counts
that don't match the vectorization width to get rid of the loop count
constraint, performing dynamic alignment analysis, etc.

There may be other issues in LLVM that make this more complicated of
which I'm not aware, but with a reasonable initial set of constraints,
the "vectorization" part of a loop autovectorizer should be feasible
to do in a short timeframe.

--
Stefanus Du Toit <stefanus.dutoit at rapidmind.com>
   RapidMind Inc.