[LLVMdev] LLVM-gcc for a new architecture

Anton Korobeynikov asl at math.spbu.ru
Mon Oct 15 03:04:37 PDT 2007

Boris,

>   Yes, I know that. configure --target=a-b-c will fail because there
> is no such stuff known in gcc. So, what is the answer/consequence? An
> existing gcc back-end for architecture "a" is a precondition for a
> LLVM back-end for architecture "a"?
No. This is requirement of using gcc as a frontend. This looks pretty
weird, but it is: frontend should know some details about your target
architecture (for example, pointer type, and much more). However, you
might try to create "blank" gcc arch and try to fill all necessary bits.
Dunno, how hard it is.

>   Is there another fully working C front-end for LLVM?
Not yet. However, I think, you can try clang and try to find what's not
working for you.

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov.

Faculty of Mathematics & Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University.