[LLVMdev] Fedora Core 5 package

Adam Goode agoode at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Aug 26 22:05:25 PDT 2006

Reid Spencer wrote:
>> If no one here is working on this, I can start the Fedora Extras new
>> package process, which should only take a few weeks to complete. LLVM
>> has been on my "planned packages" list for a while now.
>
> That would be great! Thanks.

Okay, I'll start putting together a Fedora package and then start the
process.

> Once the 1.9 release is made (November?), you should be able to:
>
> make dist       # make distribution source tarball
> make dist-check # verify distribution source can build itself
> make rpms       # make source rpm package
> make rpm        # make binary rpm package

I don't know how it works in other RPM-based distributions (like SUSE),
but in Fedora, the spec file is kept in version control, external to
upstream source.

Because of differences in distributions, there's no such thing as a "one
size fits all" RPM build. Even within Fedora, the RPM spec file is
stored in separate branches for different versions (FC-4, FC-5, FC-6,
etc.) because of differences between releases. For Fedora, the LLVM
"make rpm" feature would not be used, since the spec file must exist in
Fedora CVS and be customized for the exact version of Fedora.

I suspect other distributions are equally customized, and so the "make
rpm" feature would be useful only in the case where a package is not yet
available for a particular distribution.

Anyway, your spec file should be a good starting point for the Fedora
package. Once the review request is filed, I will send a pointer to the
list if anyone is curious about following its progress.

Thanks,

Adam