[LLVMdev] Fedora Core 5 package

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Sat Aug 26 23:12:33 PDT 2006

Hi Adam,

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 01:05 -0400, Adam Goode wrote:
> Reid Spencer wrote:
> >> If no one here is working on this, I can start the Fedora Extras new
> >> package process, which should only take a few weeks to complete. LLVM
> >> has been on my "planned packages" list for a while now.
> >
> > That would be great! Thanks.
>
> Okay, I'll start putting together a Fedora package and then start the
> process.

Wonderful, thanks.

> > Once the 1.9 release is made (November?), you should be able to:
> >
> > make dist       # make distribution source tarball
> > make dist-check # verify distribution source can build itself
> > make rpms       # make source rpm package
> > make rpm        # make binary rpm package
> >

> I don't know how it works in other RPM-based distributions (like SUSE),
> but in Fedora, the spec file is kept in version control, external to
> upstream source.

Our spec file is in rpm.spec.in at the top level of the LLVM source
tree, in CVS. Is that what you mean?

> Because of differences in distributions, there's no such thing as a "one
> size fits all" RPM build. Even within Fedora, the RPM spec file is
> stored in separate branches for different versions (FC-4, FC-5, FC-6,
> etc.) because of differences between releases. For Fedora, the LLVM
> "make rpm" feature would not be used, since the spec file must exist in
> Fedora CVS and be customized for the exact version of Fedora.

Okay, didn't know that. Well, at least you could use it as a starting
point.

> I suspect other distributions are equally customized, and so the "make
> rpm" feature would be useful only in the case where a package is not yet
> available for a particular distribution.

Okay.  You will find "make dist" and "make dist-check" handy though.
That is how you generate a certified source tarball. Which is the
beginning step for an RPM package.

> Anyway, your spec file should be a good starting point for the Fedora
> package.

I suspect so.

> Once the review request is filed, I will send a pointer to the
> list if anyone is curious about following its progress.

Yes, please do send it to this list. That would be great.

> Thanks,
>
> Adam

Thank you!

Reid.