[lldb-dev] Trying out lld to link windows binaries (using msvc as a compiler)

Leonardo Santagada via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 19 12:09:51 PST 2018

Hi all,

At work I have been experimenting with linking with lld, I can give all
sorts of information about the performance so far if someone wants to hear
it, but for a large binary (around 100mb and 800mb of symbols) it takes
considerably more memory and time than the vs 2015 and 2017 linker.

What I've been playing around is the idea of creating a tool that generate
those DEBUG:GHASH sections on .obj files already created, I saw code for
reading them in lld and started looking at the codeview part of clang, is
there any documentation around that, and would anyone else have interest in
such a tool? I wish we could just jump shit to clang but right now that is
not a possibility (It mostly revolves around windows.h and the copy of it
we mantain).

ps: I have two patches that I needed to get it to finish linking I can
submit them monday.

--

Leonardo Santagada