[cfe-dev] LLVM C++14/C++17 BoF - Summary
Keane, Erich via cfe-dev
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 19 10:03:40 PDT 2018
Thanks for the update Zachary!
I indeed missed the LLVM-Dev meeting, so this is a welcome bit of news for me!
I’m glad we decided to go with the cmake-warning mechanism. Was there ever any discussion about a rolling warning system as I proposed here? https://reviews.llvm.org/D47073
It had received positive feedback on the mailing list, though Chandler had/has some reservations. IMO, it is a way of going about this that prevents this discussion from being so contentious in the future.
From: cfe-dev [mailto:cfe-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org] On Behalf Of Zachary Turner via cfe-dev
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2018 9:58 AM
To: llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>; Clang Dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>
Subject: [cfe-dev] LLVM C++14/C++17 BoF - Summary
For those of you who were not able to attend the LLVM Developer Meeting (and as a recap for those who were), we had a productive BoF about enabling C++14 or C++17 in LLVM. The outcome of this can be generally summarized as:
* There were no major objections to moving to C++14 / C++17 "as soon as possible"
* "As soon as possible" is not immediately, but we are currently targeting March of 2019 due to some downstream contributors' needing to resolve some blockages before it can be possible.
* There did not seem to be a strong sentiment that we should only move to C++14, so for the sake of this discussion we're assuming 17 unless someone presents a strong argument why 17 is *less* desirable than 14.
Minimum Compiler Versions for "Reasonable C++17 Support" (Mostly everything minus CTAD)
GCC - Version 7  (Version 8 for CTAD)
Clang - Version 4  (Version 5 for CTAD)
MSVC - 2017 Update 5  (Update 7 for CTAD)
We plan to add a CMake warning if your compiler version is below these versions soon. Around January, we will promote this to a CMake error which you must manually override by passing -DCMAKE_ALLLOW_DEPRECATED_COMPILER.
If I'm forgetting anything or misrepresenting anything that was said at the BoF please feel free to correct me.
 - https://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/projects/cxx-status.html
 - https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html
 - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/visual-cpp-language-conformance?view=vs-2017
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the cfe-dev