[cfe-dev] LLVM C++14/C++17 BoF - Summary
Zachary Turner via cfe-dev
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 19 09:57:42 PDT 2018
For those of you who were not able to attend the LLVM Developer Meeting
(and as a recap for those who were), we had a productive BoF about enabling
C++14 or C++17 in LLVM. The outcome of this can be generally summarized as:
* There were no major objections to moving to C++14 / C++17 "as soon as
* "As soon as possible" is not immediately, but we are currently targeting
March of 2019 due to some downstream contributors' needing to resolve some
blockages before it can be possible.
* There did not seem to be a strong sentiment that we should only move to
C++14, so for the sake of this discussion we're assuming 17 unless someone
presents a strong argument why 17 is *less* desirable than 14.
Minimum Compiler Versions for "Reasonable C++17 Support" (Mostly everything
GCC - Version 7  (Version 8 for CTAD)
Clang - Version 4  (Version 5 for CTAD)
MSVC - 2017 Update 5  (Update 7 for CTAD)
We plan to add a CMake warning if your compiler version is below these
versions soon. Around January, we will promote this to a CMake error which
you must manually override by passing -DCMAKE_ALLLOW_DEPRECATED_COMPILER.
If I'm forgetting anything or misrepresenting anything that was said at the
BoF please feel free to correct me.
 - https://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/projects/cxx-status.html
 - https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the cfe-dev