[cfe-dev] Working on c++2a Designated initializers

Walter Gray via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 15 18:33:20 PST 2018

Hi cfe,

My employer (Cruise Automation) is hosting a hackathon and there have been
a few reports of people running into strange errors in a few edge cases
when using designated initializers in clang++, (I'm still working on
finding a repro case, I'll post it when I find it) which I wanted to fix
since we use them all over. Digging in, I discovered that the current
version is only an extension and the feature just voted in to c++20 will
actually enforce some rather strict rules.

I wondered if there was a currently outstanding ticket or if anyone had
started work on implementing the C++20 version and warnings for
non-standard behavior? I checked Phabricator, but didn't see anything
obvious. I realize properly adding support is probably a more involved
project than just a few days, but I was thinking it might be nice to work
on in my down time over the winter to get a better understanding of how
clang operates.

Thanks,
Walter