[cfe-dev] Working on c++2a Designated initializers

via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 16 09:21:04 PST 2018

From: cfe-dev <cfe-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org> On Behalf Of Walter Gray via cfe-dev
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2018 6:33 PM
To: cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Subject: [cfe-dev] Working on c++2a Designated initializers

Hi cfe,

My employer (Cruise Automation) is hosting a hackathon and there have been a few reports of people running into strange errors in a few edge cases when using designated initializers in clang++, (I'm still working on finding a repro case, I'll post it when I find it) which I wanted to fix since we use them all over. Digging in, I discovered that the current version is only an extension and the feature just voted in to c++20 will actually enforce some rather strict rules.

I wondered if there was a currently outstanding ticket or if anyone had started work on implementing the C++20 version and warnings for non-standard behavior? I checked Phabricator, but didn't see anything obvious. I realize properly adding support is probably a more involved project than just a few days, but I was thinking it might be nice to work on in my down time over the winter to get a better understanding of how clang operates.

Thanks,
Walter