[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [RFC][llvm-mca] Adding binary support to llvm-mca.

Andrea Di Biagio via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 27 09:08:25 PST 2018

Thanks for clarifying it Matt.

In general, I quite like your suggested design.

My only concern is about the semantic of the two new intrinsics. You design
doesn't allow mca ranges to span through multiple basic blocks. That
constraint is acceptable for now, since llvm-mca doesn't know how to deal
with control flow.
However, I am a bit concerned about what might happen in future if we
decide to let users specify code regions that span through multiple basic
blocks. Basically, I don't particularly like the idea of changing the
semantic of already existing intrinsic. A design that already accounts for
that particular scenario/future work would be ideal. That being said,
marking those new intrinsics as 'experimental' may be a good compromise (at
least for now).

So, I am quite happy overall with the direction of this RFC.
However, I am interesting to hear from other developers about your
suggested design.

> This initial patch only targets ELF object files, and does not handle
relocatable addresses. Since the start of a code region is represented as an
assembly label, and referenced in the .mca_code_regions section, that
address
is relocatable.

This may be okay for now. However, it would be nice to remove that
constraint in future and add support to generic object files.

-Andrea