[cfe-dev] Does SourceLocation need more documentation?

Manuel Klimek via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 9 11:09:18 PDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 8:06 PM Sam McCall via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I never felt that I completely understood the code I wrote/reviewed in
> tools dealing with SourceLocation. And clangd has had several bugs that
> boil down to wrong locations in the presence of macros.
>
> I couldn't find a good guide for how to think about them, so I spent a
> while reading the source code and wrote a tool to visualize them, which
> helped me a lot:
>   https://imgur.com/f3cXp7E
> (black edges are expansion, yellow edges are source)

Cool. I once had a CL to help print SLs in a more readable way, but it
bitrotted under Richard's unforgiving eyes :)
This is way cooler though.

> Did I miss some documentation of this concept?

Nope. I touched a bit on this in my AST talk, but it's really missing.

> Would it be worth writing up an article illustrated with some examples, to
> add to llvm.org? Maybe this is niche or well-understood, interested in
> what others think.

A talk at an LLVM conf would also be cool :D

Cheers,
/Manuel