[Openmp-dev] Using clang-offload-bundler to bundle application/executable

Jonas Hahnfeld via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 8 01:37:42 PST 2019

Hi Lukas,
Am Mittwoch, den 06.11.2019, 11:20 +0100 schrieb Lukas Sommer:
>     Hi Jonas,
>
>     thanks for answer, the command indeed works, I was just missing
>       the vendor-part of the triple "-unknown" in some places.
>

>     The clang-offload-bundler and the clang linking step seem to be
>       very sensitive to vendor-part of the target triple.
>

>     [...]
>
>     I'm wondering if clang-offload-bundler should be so sensitive to
>       the vendor-string in the target triple. In particular, if you run
>       clang with "-fopenmp-targets=x86_64-linux-gnu", you still have to
>       run clang-offload-bundler with the "unknown" vendor-string,
>       otherwise the device-part (device.in.ll) will be empty.
>

>     Is this the intended behavior?
Yes, I think it is somewhat intended: Clang normalizes the target triple. As clang-offload-bundler is usually not directly invoked by the user, it just takes the input triple and uses it as a unique key.I'm not sure if it would be worth to implement normalization in another tool. Usually, you should be fine if you just copy the commands output by clang -v.
Regards,Jonas